Minimalism forces a focus on what is necessary, what is desired, and what is needed. Because of this, I take a lot of time to consider even the consumables of my life. I’ve recently seen a lot of buzz about shampoo-less living. You know, the harmful chemicals that go into these products and the absurd idea that we even need them. So never one to pass up a self-experiment, I took the plunge into ‘poo-less life. It’s been just under two months and I can verify that I’ll never look back to life with shampoo. It has been so successful that even my lovely girlfriend has jumped into the experiment.
I will never poo again. If that sort of thing interests you, read on!
So a little about myself… Well, I have had to shampoo my hair every day for the past 10+ years or risk looking like the unctuous kid that can cook french fries with the grease from his hair. Truly, I must have the most over-active sebaceous glands buried deep in my genetics. I have extremely soft, fine, silky hair. It is a curse. At least when you’re a guy and having princess hair is not hip.
But not using shampoo had never occurred to me.
So after the new year, I decided no more shampooing for me. I’d quit the shampoo game and see what happens. And to my surprise, the results are incredible! My hair isn’t greasy or oily. It doesn’t even lock in smells. I’ve even been to bonfires and all I need is a thorough head rub in the hot calm of a shower. Then boom goes the dynamite! I’m smelling clean and lookin’ sharp!
Now I must make this disclaimer: I do wash my hair dang-near-every-day. I just use hot water, no soap or shampoo. I also give myself a fine work over head massage in the shower every morning. Since I don’t have to bother with shampoo, I’ve taken a greater fondness to shower time meditations.
I know what you’re thinking… “Great, it worked for you, but that could never work for me!”
Well hold on and breathe a moment. What is the worst that happens? You have somewhat oily hair for three days? A week? Two weeks? Bah humbug! Worse things will happen in your life. So with that said, I give you:
5 Tips to Never Poo Again
1. Start right now! Really, start right now. Don’t wait for the weekend (though it’s only a day away). Give it a shot, don’t look back.
2. Be Persistent. It is tempting the first few days to throw in the towel. I wore a hat the first three days, but I did notice things got better shortly after that.
3. Get Creative. Change up your style, wear hats, be bold, and own up! The worst part is starting, and I promise it isn’t that bad.
4. Cheat! Yes, that’s right. Cheat! Cut corners. Maybe use shampoo once a week at first. Or conditioner only. Google no-shampoo alternatives. There are plenty of great ideas on how to wean yourself from shampoo. (See baking soda and vinegar remedies)
5. Recognize Your Brilliance! You’ve just accomplished something great. You’re helping to destroy a consumer crazy market and bogus societal norm that is completely unnecessary. It’s only been since the 1970s that the shampoo craze has been readily bought up by us fools!
With all that said, I release you into the wild! Enjoy your poo-less future! Enjoy putting less chemicals onto your head, hair, face, and skin! Enjoy buying one less arbitrary product that you don’t need! Enjoy spitting in the face of a bogus societal norm while smiling with naturally clean and sparkling locks!
February 24, 2011